Restored in 2006, this well photographed section of the Sydney Harbour foreshore runs beneath the Southern Harbour Bridge Pylons, on Dawes Point. Comprising of 128 panels, the balustrade was removed from site. Each individual component was number tagged to be returned to its original position. As much of the original material was retained as possible. Wrought Artworks completed the restoration in under eight months with a crew of up to 15 men and undertook the casting and forging of the various elements which comprise the foreshore railing.
Pattern makers made wooden patterns for the foundry men to cast new posts and medallions in cast iron. Our machinists then drilled and threaded the castings in purpose built jigs to ensure the components could be assembled easily on site. A tool maker made forging dies for the blacksmiths, who then forged replacement fastenings in wrought iron salvaged from the original balustrade. Fitters assembled the panels on site using a small jib crane to avoid handling injuries.
Forged wrought iron 'T' bolt fastenings, that secure the posts onto the sandstone plinth were duplicated using the original wrought iron medallion ring material that was rusted beyond repair. While the restoration was true to the original 1912 design, availability and application of improved paint systems will improve the future corrosion resistance of the cast and wrought iron balustrade.
This job returned the work to the same (or better) standard of it's time, by investigation and deployment of the same manufacturing methods and materials as originally used.
Head contractor: Ward Civil Engineering
Architect: Conybeare Morrison